I have to admit, I have been using essential oils for YEARS and never heard of Hong Kuai. I wouldn’t have been able to tell you if it was a flower, type of wood, fruit, etc. For all I knew, it was a secluded island off the Pacific somewhere!
Of course all of that changed when I decided to read through each and every essential oil description found in the Young Living catalog shortly after I ordered my Premium Starter Kit. At first, the very short description regarding Hong Kuai wasn’t very unique. Yea, ok it said “inspires clarity, intuition and action.” but there are a dozen, more popular oils that do the same, so what gives? I decided to pass over it . . . Yet, something kept pulling me back. Eventually, I circled the item in the catalog but still didn’t order it. However, I couldn’t quite get it out of my mind. I kept thinking about it at the strangest times throughout the day. Finally after months, I decided to use my much hoarded essential reward points to get a bottle of it for free and hopefully put an end to my obsessive madness.
So here I am, about to explain why you seriously NEED Hong Kuai in your essential oil arsenal!
What the heck is Hong Kuai anyways?!
First things first, Hong Kuai is the Chinese name for Chamaecyparis Formosensis, an extremely large coniferous cypress tree found in Taiwan. When I say “extremely large” I mean 180 – 200 feet tall and 22 feet wide!! This is just the tip of the iceberg. . .
Crazy-fun facts regarding the Chamaecyparis Formosensis:
- lives up to 2,000 years old!
- grows at moderate to high altitude (3,300 – 9,500ft)
- reddish-brown bark but soft wood
- resistant to decay
- valued in Taiwan for use in building sacred temples and shrines
- threatened extinction from over cutting
- today Young Living will only ‘harvest by nature’ which means only using trees naturally fallen during the monsoon season (the trees are no longer allowed to be clear-cut)
Reading over these facts in my research about Hong Kuai essential oil, it became very apparent to me just how strong and triumphant this tree is. The Universe has an amazing way of connecting us to what we need in our lives no matter how far away it might exist. Just imagine the life cycles and environments one Chamaecyparis Formosensis tree lived through in the 2,000 years of its existence. Its history, Its strength, Its purity residing in a bottle. Truly AMAZING!
What exactly is Hong Kuai essential oil used for?
Hong Kuai essential oil has a very earthy, heady, woodsy scent. (Think of the scent of wood after an open campfire is put out from burning for hours.) After inhaling it for the first time and learning about the benefits of this sacred oil, I realized why the Universe sent it my way! Here is a shortened list of amazing qualities Hong Kuai essential oil brings about:
- cleansing a space especially for meditation
- relief of an agitated mind and body
- increasing spiritual awareness
- respiratory support
- restore personal confidence
- promotes clarity and action
In addition, Hong Kuai essential oil has the highest sesquiterpene content of any Young Living therapeutic grade essential oils. Sesquiterpene’s are compounds that are thought to penetrate the blood-brain barrier and bring oxygen molecules to the body’s cells (as explained in greater length in a detailed article written by Dr. David Stewart here ).
BONUS: How to Use Hong Kuai Essential Oil!
Dozens of people online share how they use Hong Kuai essential oil and the different ways they are experimenting with it. Just like the unique qualities of the actual oil itself, the ways to use it are even more unique, which of course made me fall even deeper in love!
Here are some of the more creative ways that I learned and created myself to get the most out of Hong Kuai essential oil:
- Break out the family hand-me-down handkerchiefs (embracing your own past
heritage), a cherished one or buy a new one that you feel connected to. Place 3-4 drops on the handkerchief and keep in your pocket tied around your wrist to boost confidence and intuition.
- Place a few drops on a piece of paper (or paper bookmark) and keep in your journal, diary, notebook, writing tablet, computer keyboard, journal to stimulate creativity and open the mind up to new possibilities.
- Place a drop of oil within the front cover of your favorite book to solidify the sacred space and show gratefulness to the author of the book.
- Before a hosting a party, work meeting or stressful event apply the oil on your temples and heart to gain confidence.
- A masculine elixir = combine Hong Kuai, Ylang Ylang and Idaho Blue Spruce as a “cologne” to promote feelings romance and sexual desire (this can be researched further at your own discretion!)
- Fill a glass spray bottle with earth fed spring water (to find a spring to gather spring water near you Click Here ) and add 5 drops of oil. Spray a room, car, yoga mat, meditation area, even your cell phone etc. to cleanse the space, inspire and aid in the clarity of the mind.
I have been so excited to share this essential oil with you. Have you used Hong Kuai before? If so, how and why? I would love to hear from you!
P.S. For more information on essential oils click here to go to my Essential Oil FAQ page! Also, if you would like to ORDER HONG KUAI essential oil or any Young Living product or Young Living Premium Starter Kit click here!